Thursday, August 28, 2014

Inspired by Class Lecture on Andy Warhol's, Marilyn Diptych

When we were on the topic of Pop Art in the U.S. I was completely intrigued by Professor Alford's lecture on Andy Warhol's, Marilyn Diptych. Professor Alford mentioned that Warhol completed this piece after Marilyn's suicide to commemorate her place in culture. The discussion lead on to how Marilyn was actually smarter than people perceived her to be. She had beauty and brains, but some people only could see the physical beauty. I began to wonder how Marilyn felt about just being a sex symbol to a lot of people and not appreciated for her smarts. From this discussion and my curiosity, I created this piece for one of my final prints for printmaking. 

1 comment:

  1. That is a really nice final print!

    I don't know where I heard this, but I once looked up quotes from famous women like Marilyn and Audrey Hepburn. It's funny because I know that they were huge sex symbols, as stated, but the things they said actually garnered them some attention... it was actually smart. I'm not saying that she had long conversations about politics, but there was a "women's intuition" notion. I think people knew she was smart, but just ended up seeing her public image more and sort of fell to that since it was what she promoted more of.

    ReplyDelete